Black tweed pullover

Yarn: Ballybrae coal black tweed
Gauge: 5st = 1”,
7.5 rows = 1” over stockinette stitch
Status: Completed

Feb 24 2003

This sweater has met all my expectations. Too bad the black yarn just doesn’t show the detail so well in a digital photo.

There’s a fullness at the shoulders which I had not planned for, but I am finding rather charming. For the first inch or so of the sleeve I increased every row, resulting in the abundance of fabric at the top of the sleeve. Subsequently I changed the increase rate to 1 st/row for two rows, then skip a row. This gave a more natural relationship between sleeve and body. I am satisfied with this method for knitting top down saddle shoulder sweater.

Design details include reverse stockinette at neck, cuff and bottom edges prior to ribbing. I’m particularly pleased with the effect of the 4-rib braid down the fronts, through the knit-purl bands and stockinette, echoed by 4-rib braid down the top of the sleeves.

For improved fit I worked a few short rows across the back. This makes the back a scosh longer than the front, counteracting the tendency of sweaters to ride up in the back.

Feb 09 2003

That was about the fastest sleeve I ever knit: one day.

The neck opening was rather larger than I anticipated, so I picked up 90% of the stitches and knit 5 rounds of reverse stockinette (purl). This is echoed by the purl stitch at the wrist; I will also repeat it at the bottom ribbing as well. I decreased an additional 10% stitches before the k1p1 ribbing, which is rather high, making for a nice cozy neck. I finished off the neck by working a turning row of purl, again decreasing 10% of the stitches and working stockinette stitch for the inside of the neck, then tacking it down.

Feb 08 2003

That was one fast sleeve, thanks to being laid up with a torn knee ligaments. Thanks to a little photo manipulation, the four-rib braid shows up a little better. Design features of the sleeve: decreases occur at sides of the cable, along the top to the arm, so that the long edge of the sleeve is on the top; a heavy stripe of purl stitch at the wrist, immediately before the ribbing, will be echoed at the waist and the neck.

Jan 31 2003

Now I’ve got some progress. The yoke and sleeve caps are complete. Now I expect it to go pretty fast. In this picture you can barely make out the 4-rib braid down the front. The body and upper sleeves will have 3” of moss stitch. I decided to make the center knit-purl pattern band wider than the moss stitch bands. I think it will make a more interesting design than if the three bands were of equal width.

Jan 07 2003

It took a couple false starts to get the yoke going. I’ve been playing with different seeding patterns for horizontal banding. There will be three horizontal bands across the yoke: moss stitch – alternate rows of knit and k2p2 – moss stitch. Bands will be separated by three rows of purl stitch.

The color is actually a much richer black, but I lightened the photo to show the detail of the four-rib cable along the top of the shoulder and down the front.

Dec 24 2002


My motto: It’s not knitting if I don’t rip it out three times.

I have restarted this sweater on smaller needles for a more appropriate gauge. I just have to hope I have enough yarn. That’s why I’m proceeding from top to bottom and leaving all ribbing edges to last. I may have an opportunity for serendipitous design.

Dec 04 2002

Once again, I apologize for picking a yarn that doesn’t photograph well. I have this yarn: I don’t know when I bought it, where I bought it or why I bought it. But I’ve got enough for a sweater for myself with a few cables.

I’m knitting a saddle shoulder sweater, top down, with the sleeves worked along with the body down to the underarms. This will result in quite a lot of stitches on the needle until I can divide body and arms.

The beginning, which you see here, is a tangled mess of four circular needles. I started with two 4-rib cable shoulder saddles, then picked up stitches all the way around. The multiple needles are necessary because it will be very difficult to make a 90° turn until I get enough rows and stitches.

Page updated Mon Feb 24, 2003, 21:12 PM

   •