Professor Brian's raglan cardigan

Yarn: Reynolds Candide
Gauge: 4st = 1”,
6.5 rows = 1” over stockinette stitch
Status: completed

Jul 04 2003

Last year’s Christmas present, finally done. Yay! The shawl collar worked out perfectly. Very cozy and I’m sure “Professor Brian” will appreciate it – come next winter.

May 27 2003

This is pretty cool. I am working the shawl collar after the fashion of a Cowichan sweater, although instead of working the collar in garter stitch, I am using 2/2 rib. This will necessitate blocking out the collar so it lays flat instead of contracting.

The back and fronts are worked separately. Stitches are picked up along the back of the neck. Increases are made at each end every other row. Then the side stitches are picked up and the fronts are worked. Each front is joined to the side of the body as it is worked. After a time the front is decreased to nada.

When both fronts are worked, I’ll pick up all the stitches around the edge and work a gray band to match the cuffs. That will be a big job. I may need more needles.

May 13 2003

Now that’s what I call progress. This is the full sweater with the center cut open. Now the V opens up and the cardigan begins to take shape. You can barely see the two patch pockets on the front, but that is the idea.

Now begins the challenge of the shawl collar. I haven’t exactly worked out how I’m going to do this. The reason for a shawl collar is Brian wants to be able to button up all the way to his neck, to keep warm. Not that there will be much need for several months yet. I’m considering a shawl collar of the Cowichan style. the collar / front band will finish off with a strip of grey and black, to match the cuffs.

Apr 13 2003

Heavens! What are those two funny little flaps there on the bottom? Pocket liners! I’m trying something different. Instead of patch pockets on the outside, I knit patch pockets on the inside. Access will be from the outside, of course, it will just give a smoother presentation. I’m not really sure the pockets are the right size, but I can always make proper patch pockets for the outside if I need to. And if I don’t run out of yarn.

Apr 2 2003

With two sleeves done, I feel like I’ve made significant progress. From here, it’s straight down the body.

Mar 19 2003

This sweater is coming along quite nicely. I’m especially pleased with the thick horseshoe cable down the sleeve. Sleeve decreasing is 2 st every 5th row on either side of the cable. Decreasing along the top of the sleeve creates a longer line along the top than on the bottom, resulting in a more natural fit and less bulk under the arm.

Mar 8 2003

The yoke is the biggest hurdle for these top down sweaters, as you are working sleeve and body at the same time. Makes for a lot of stitches on the needle. I’ve got a thick horseshoe cable running down the arms, which will draw attention to the tops of the shoulders, helping to counteract the narrowing effect of raglan shaping.

Despite my previous calculations, I found I didn’t have nearly as many body stitches as I thought I would after knitting to the depth of 12 inches. In this instance it’s not a problem: the extra stitches were added at the underarm. Brian is pretty big around, so extra width at the underarm should make this sweater more comfortable than the standard 2” underarm. You can’t tell at this point, but it will be a v-neck once the front is cut open.

Feb 24 2003

Another Christmas sweater for last Christmas. This is for my brother-in-law, Brian, wants an oversized cardigan with a shawl collar, something like a a dissipated professor would wear. I’m designing a v-neck raglan cardigan with patch pockets that I think will suit him admirably.

My choice of yarn is this lovely Reynolds Candide in black and grey tweed for accents. It’s thick and soft, but suffers from an inordinate amount of hay and even plastic baling twine fibers. That will slow down the knitting as I pull out the bits.

Page updated Fri Jul 04, 2003, 21:07 PM

   •