Hooded Fana baby cardigan

Yarn: Cleckheaton 8-ply
Gauge: 6st = 1”
7.5 rows = 1”
Status: completed

Cleckheaton Country 8 Ply is the nicest machine-washable wool I know of. I’m planning a little hooded cardigan in the Fana style, for a baby who shall remain nameless (because it’s not born yet). Fana is a coastal region of Norway. The traditional Fana cardigan is black and white stripes with checkerboard at the bottom and stars on the yoke.

The blessed thing about knitting for babies is babies are so small. Their little sweaters and what-not knit up pretty quickly and this two-color cardigan is no exception. I’m enjoying the knitting of it.

The pattern is pretty traditional; my biggest design concern is the direction of the stripes for the hood. I may knit that stitch when I come to it.

I like the mauve and black combination – I think it will make a very sophisticated baby sweater, though my mother-in-law is concerned whether the parents will be superstitious about black for babies.

Every project has its own little challenge. With this sweater the challenge is to secure the cut edges of the steek. Cleckheaton is a machine washable wool, so it won’t naturally stick to itself. I didn’t want the harsh edge created by machine stitching on either side of the steek cut.

I submitted my question to the TechKnit list. Joan Schrouder, a knitting expert in Eugene, OR, suggested using Rick Mondragon’s steek-and-cut method described in Spring 2002 issue of Knitter’s magazine. His method consists of twisting the steek stitches then crocheting them up to secure them before cutting. I used a double line of crochet and so far it seems to be holding nicely.

On to the hood, hooray! Sleeves went FAST.

The hood took longer than I expected, but I haven’t been knitting a lot lately. It looks plenty big for a baby head. All that remains is the edging. The double-crocheted cut edges are holding very well so far.

Since I don’t know the sex of the baby, I made buttonholes in both sides of the front edging. When I learn the baby’s sex, I’ll sew up and attach buttons on the appropriate side.

One interesting thing that happened with this sweater is my gauge got proceedingly tighter, especially in the vertical measure.

Page updated Mon Jul 01, 2002, 21:01 PM

   •