We did make it to the coast for Christmas eve after all. Our days of shoveling the drive to keep the accumulation down paid off. The tricky bit was getting up and down our dumb little side street. Once we got to the main road we were fine.
The drive on Highway 30 was exciting. Packed snow all the way through Scapoose. Horrible piles of slush through Clatskanie. Heavy snow from Rainier Hill to Bradley Hill.
Most amazing, snow on Christmas Day in Astoria. I never saw that in all my years on the coast.
We had Christmas dinner with E’s family on Sunday after Christmas, so our Christmas got extended. Christmas.
As per usual, we gave each other books. Lots and lots of books. I still haven’t read 1/2 the books from last Christmas. I try to come up with at least one “3rd world” author. And something suitably gruesome to suit E’s morbid taste.
Books I gave E
- The White Tiger Aravind Adiga
- Gentlemen of the Road Michael Chabon
- The Yiddish Policemen’s Union Michael Chabon
- The Tsar’s Dwarf Peter H. Fogtdal
- The City of Dreaming Books Walter Moers
- Breakdowns: Portrait of the Artist as a Young %@&*! Art Spiegelman
- The Secret Museum of Mankind
Books E gave me
- The Alcoholic Jonathan Ames
- Frida’s Bed Slavenka Drakulic
- The Spies of Warsaw Alan Furst
- Welcome to Dingburg: Zippy the Pinhead Bill Griffith
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo Stieg Larsson
- The Complete Persepolis Marjane Satrapi
- The Good Husband of Zebra Drive Alexander McCall Smith
- Rhubarb H. Allen Smith