OMG! It’s snowing on Christmas Day! It’s really coming down hard, just started a few hours ago. We’ll have to shovel the drive before going over to E’s parent’s house for Christmas dinner. E is cooking a goose. What is it with Jews celebrating Christmas anyway?
It’s snowing but we’re cozy inside with a nice fire, a roasting goose, kitties and plenty o’ books. I’ve been drinking almost since I got up. It’s medicinal: I’ve still got the wicked cold. It’s been about three weeks now. E’s got it too, but he doesn’t seem as affected as I am. At least it’s getting better; I’m only blowing my nose every 20 minutes instead of every 10 minutes.
We had our traditional Christmas eve celebration, just the two of us. I picked up E from work and we had sweet coastal Dungeness crab, plenty o’ beer and books books books.
Books I gave E
- Clapton: The Autobiography – at the time I write this E has nearly finished the entire book.
- Paula Spencer Roddy Doyle
- Jewtopia Brian Fogel and Sam Wolfson
- Flashman on the March George MacDonald Fraser
- Fragile Things Neil Gaiman
- Dust Martha Grimes
- The Harsh Cry of the Heron: The Last Tale of the Otori Lian Hearn
- Freddy and Fredericka Mark Helprin
- The Portland Red Guide Michael Munk
- Wizard of the Crow Ngugui wa Thiong’o
Books E gave me
- Nothing Like the Sun: A Story of Shakespeare’s Love-Life Anthony Burgess
- Memoir from Antproof Case Mark Helprin
This is the third time E has given me this same book. “But it’s a nice edition,” he says.
- The Pacific and Other Stories Mark Helprin
This is only the second time E has given me this book.
- Refiner’s Fire Mark Helprin
At last, a Mark Helprin book I haven’t read. It’s a Mark Helprin Christmas
- The Quiet Girl Peter Hoeg
- I am a Strange Loop Douglas Hofstader
- Half Life Shelley Jackson
- Son of a Witch Gregory Maguire
- Bad Monkeys Matt Ruff