All's well that ends, well?

Posted Tue Apr 03, 2007, 16:50 PM by Tracy | |

We took an extended weekend to Las Vegas to watch E’s beloved Cubbies play a couple pre-season games against the Mariners. Our good friend Skaren, who lives and works in the City of Lost Wages, and who is almost as big a Cubs fan as E, was able to switch a shift and join us for the Friday evening game.

The Cubs dominated the Mariners that first night. We left before the game finished to beat the LV traffic, but the Cubs were up by several runs by that point. Saturday didn’t go as well, but they didn’t put in as many starters and ended by losing, scoring only one run to the Mariner’s two. It’s only pre-season, it doesn’t count.

LV is an interesting town to me, not least of which, because of why I seem to enjoy myself there. I don’t gamble and I’m too cheap to spring for the shows. Maybe it’s just getting out of town to someplace sunny for a couple days that I like.

We splurged on a “cheap” room at the Luxor, the big black pyramid on the strip. Unfortunately our room was directly across from the big video display touting the shows. If I never have to hear Liza Minnelli belt out “New York, New York” again, that will be just fine with me.

It was a fun trip up to the end. The morning we were set to leave the fire alarm went off at 4am. I am so inured to false and test alarms, I didn’t react. E just pulled the pillow tighter over his head as I pulled on a pair of jeans. Fortunately, it turned out to be a false alarm, but we were already awake. We had a 5:30am shuttle pick-up.

The 5:30am shuttle pick-up was not my idea, but the suggestion of the shuttle dispatcher. The shuttle was early and got us to the airport by 5:30am. It only took 1/2 hour to check in at the electric kiosk, get through security and take a tram to our gate, giving us an overly generous 2 hour wait time before scheduled departure.

Did I say 2 hours? That would have been bliss. By 8am we didn’t even have a plane at the gate. E sent me to find out the story. Our estimated departure was 11:30am! It turns out that a part needed to be replaced and they were still waiting for the part. I scored a couple snack vouchers. E went out for a smoke. In the meantime another flight deplaned and boarded at our gate. Then another. 11:30 turned into noon.

As noon became noon-thirty, it was announced that our flight was cancelled. A new flight was scheduled for the next morning. The airline would have to put us all up for the night. Yipee. Another night in Vegas. Good thing I packed an extra pair of underwear.


Links & Lists


Seek & Find



More Magpie

Kung Fu Diary
Magpie Knits
Magpie Writes
Photo Gallery

Sections and pages still in the "old" look, still accessible:


RSS / Atom


Graphics produced with Photoshop CS
Page layouts and CSS hand-coded with HTML Kit

Looks good in Firefox on PC, looks mostly okay in IE 6.0 on PC. I don’t know how it looks on Mac.